My Hero

My Hero

Saturday, September 27, 2008

10th day continued

Hank was under sedation for about four to five hours. Sedation is weird, it just seperates mind and body. His eyes were open most of the time and he would squirm around. He thinks it only lasted about a minute, and he had a dream he was a little baby again. So for him it was great! For myself it was horrible, I had a sinking feeling in my heart. Hank was hurting and I couldn't stop it. The first set of doctors and nurses took off the fingernail, and dug around then decided they needed a hand surgeon to complete the job. They let Hank stay mostly under sedation while we waited for the next group. When the Doctor got there he couldn't find anybody to assist him so Dad and I attempted to assist. I was holding Hanks arm under the sterile area and as soon as the Doctor touched him he yanked his hand back so fast I couldn't stop him. So I didn't do so well as an assistant. The doctor finally found enough people to come in and assist, but Dad got the job of holding Hanks hand under the sterile area. Thank goodness grandpas are stronger and better suited for this stuff. After what felt like forever they bandaged his hand back up. Then Hank was slowly waking up. It took a long time for the sedation to wear off, they were almost at the point where if they would have had to give him more we would have spent the night. Hank had bargained for a popsicle for grandpa so they both got their reward. Hank had no interest in eating his. I ate most of it, then the nurse came in to check on him and said he could go home since he ate most of his popsicle. I had to admit he didn't eat it, I did so that it wouldn't melt on my hand. I asked what the side effects were, why he needed to stay there. I was told he might throw up but that was about it. I decided to just bring him home. Twenty minutes after arriving home he did throw up, but hey I have cleaned that up before :) Grandma Janet came to visit. Grandpa Ed went and bought the prescriptions for us, an antibiotic and a liquid version on Loritab. Hank threw up a couple of more times then he was fine. Grandpa Great and Uncle Craig came and gave him a blessing. Hank finally went to sleep about 9:30 that night. Although he was given a pain killer to take Hank is tough! He only ended up taking three doses of Tylenol over the course of the next couple of days. And although his hand was bandaged pretty good I didn't let him go to school the next day. He woke up on Friday and told me how he would just stay inside and to classroom chores and he would be very careful with his hand I decided it was better to let him stay home. The Doctors said to keep his hand as still as possible for the next three days in order to let the new fingernail start to grow. That night was the fair so it was difficult but we made it!

This was a long post and there are probably some things missing but at least I finally posted it. I took some pictures with my camera but since it is not digital I will have to add them once I get the film developed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sherry told me he had surgery. Poor kid. Looks like he did well though. Glad to hear everything is ok.

D.M. said...

and what happened to the ticket taker at the fair?

Carole said...

Thanks for posting the story. It's a great account of a horrible story. I hope he's completely heeled. Tell the N.E. that you charge money for stories-- they have lots of money :)

Who visited today

About Me

My photo
I am a single mom who enjoys learning and teaching my son